Today is World Environment Day!
World Environment Day was inaugurated in the aftermath of the first international talks ever on environmental issues – the United Nations Conference on the Human Environment – which took place in 1972 in Stockholm. Since then it has been celebrated every year on June 5 with a different theme; this year’s central theme being ‘Connecting People to Nature’ – and in a different host country every year – as part of the UN Environment Programme. After Angola last year, Canada gets the honour of hosting the Day this year.
The idea behind World Environment Day is to celebrate the environment and make it possible for each and every one of us to understand that we live in interconnected ecosystems and reconnect with the surrounding nature in order to ensure better preservation. Reconnecting is crucial as many of us have been slowly disconnecting from the surrounding nature leading to ever-growing devastation in many parts of the world.
To celebrate World Environment Day and create awareness, several events (more than 1,000) – some are registered on the World Environment Day’s online platform – will be held today and in the days to come in more than 100 countries all over the globe. Singapore will take part in the celebration as a few events have already been registered to celebrate the beauty of nature. Camberley Pre-school in Balmoral Plaza has planned various discovery-centred activities through arts and crafts while Strokearts Studio in Katong Plaza is organizing a nature painting workshop for both adults and children between 11am and 2pm today. If you can’t make it to those events, worry not, there are plenty of things you can do alone or together with friends and family to celebrate on June 5 and after:
- Get outdoors. Go out for a walk in one of the numerous parks islandwide, explore and observe the biodiversity all around you. Singapore has a lot to offer!
- Go picnicking in one of the many parks. If you are clicking pictures to capture the wonders of nature, use #WithNature and #WorldEnvironmentDay and help build the World’s Biggest Nature Photo Album.
- Start a challenge with your friends and pick up pieces of trash in your neighbourhood.
- Download the iNaturalist app and help scientists document superb specimens.
- Go green – literally. Dress in green clothes to show that you care!
- Rent a bicycle and rediscover the surrounding islands.
- Get involved in your local community garden.
- Start and grow a window box vegetable garden.
For more ideas and additional information on World Environment Day visit the official website.