Demand for cooking classes targeted at helpers is on the rise in Singapore. Cookbooks do wonders, there is no doubt about it. Needless to say that nothing beats learning by doing though – especially when an experienced professional shows you the (right) way. Many organisations islandwide are offering – and some are specialising in – hands-on courses and workshops for helpers to teach them the basics, give them a solid foundation and help them improve their culinary skills.
We mapped the many available options for interactive and hands-on cooking and baking classes for helpers.
- ACMI offers a wide range of classes aimed at foreign domestic workers including cooking and baking classes. For just $100 per class, your helper will learn how to bake biscuits, cakes (a new recipe every week!) and pastries. If your helper is interested in learning new Western-style recipes, then the International Cuisine course is just what she needs!
Address: Blk A, 98 Hougang Avenue 8, Singapore 538791
Tel: 6283-9953 or via firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bayanihan Centre’s offers of classes for domestic helpers focus on international cuisine as well as basic and more advanced cake decorating. Check out their monthly schedule to keep up with the latest courses available.
Address: 43 Pasir Panjang Road
- Braseiro runs Western & French cuisine classes for foreign domestic workers. The 4-module package includes learning new recipes of main courses and desserts, salads, snacks and side dishes for $390.
Address: 333 Joo Chiat Road Singapore 427588
- Chef Siti Mastura specialises in baking cookery classes for several types of audiences of all abilities, including helpers. Her Ad-Hoc Classes will help your helper learn how to make bread, bake cakes and biscuits. The Modular Courses focus on pastry making, French Desserts, and Asian High Tea Desserts.
- Community Centres islandwide offer a large range of classes including cooking classes for helpers (and on top of that at very reasonable prices). Have a look at this comprehensive list of community centres to find one in your local area.
- Expat Kitchen runs enrichment classes, courses, and master classes for helpers to learn everything about Western cuisine. After completing the 4-week basic course, your helper will be able to master basic kitchen skills, prepare great breakfasts, understand the principles behind salad making, cook a large range of dishes and understand the importance of a balanced diet. Cost: $475. Have a look at the monthly schedule and pick just the course your helper needs.
Address: 9 Norris Road #02-01, Little India, 208252
- FAST runs basic healthy cooking classes for foreign domestic helpers. Adopting healthy cooking practices can be challenging – starting with a foundational course can make a difference and that’s what FAST’s cooking classes are focusing on (have a look at our article ‘Educating your helper on healthy cooking practices’).
Address: 120 Kim Seng Road
- GrandMother’s Recipes runs a 5-day course for helpers willing to learn more about traditional Peranakan cuisine. After the course, your helper will know everything about seasoning, picking fresh seafood, planning a 4-course meal and will be comfortable cooking a wide variety of dishes such as Sambal Belacan, Tang Hoon with Prawns, Chicken Soup and Chicken Curry among many others. Cost: $480.
Address: 81 Gardenia Road
Tel: +65 6459 7549
- Health and Vitality designed the ‘Deliciously Healthy Helpers’ Workshop’ targeted at helpers so they can learn everything about nutrition basics and learn how to prepare about a dozen healthy dishes and snacks. Cost: $120 per person.
- Little Green Kitchen offers vegetarian and gluten-free cooking classes. Your helper will get to learn new recipes from all over the world – from Harira Soup to Thai Salad and Karedok among many others– for just $85 per class and per person.
- Lotta’s Western Cooking Class runs Western basic, intermediate and advanced cooking classes and workshops for domestic helpers with a strong focus on hygiene and presentation of meals.
Address: 121 Lor K Telok Kurau
Tel: +65 8434 8054
- Palate Sensations has specialised in offering healthy cooking classes for several audiences – helpers being only one of them. Sign up your helper for a 2-day training around healthy cuisine for $250 or one of the Domestic Helper series where she’ll learn to bake amazing cakes and pastries (such as Vanilla Panna Cotta and Tiramisu) for $80 per person.
Address: Biopolis, Buona Vista MRT, Singapore
Tel: +65 6478 9746
- Road to India’s chef, Pooja Kamath Manohar, runs classes for FDWs to learn about Indian cuisine. Your helper will learn to prepare traditional Curries, Chappatis and Dosas for just $70 per class.
Address: Anchorvale Drive, Senkang
- Small Cooks Big Meals offers both baking and healthy cooking classes targeted at novice and expert domestic helpers. The 4-session Basic Cooking course will enable your helper to learn about hygiene, follow recipes, learn new recipes (main and side dishes as well as desserts), and learn about healthy alternatives. Cost: $350.
Address: 28B Dover Crescent #10-71, 134028
- Tina’s Cooks runs healthy cooking classes for foreign domestic helpers willing to learn about and adopt healthy cooking habits. After taking the 4-lesson Beginner Course, your helper will be able to understand nutrition basics and prepare savoury healthy snacks (such as blueberry muffins and honey nuts) for just $300 or $85 per class.
Address: 1 Canterbury Road, Alexandra Park
Tel: +65 6272 2789
Have we missed out on any? If you have a hidden gem to share with us, get in touch with us via email@example.com.