The Singapore Night Festival is back this year for its tenth edition in Bras Basah-Bugis district between August 18 and 26. To celebrate this big milestone, various local and international artists – and many surprises – will be part of one of the much-awaited festivals in Asia. This music and lights festival is a must-live experience – you should absolutely take our word for it! – so, we recommend that you have a stroll around the city as there will definitely be something to please everyone.
This year’s festivities will reflect the diversity of Singapore’s arts scene, with special appearances of a bevy of local artists – many of them returning to the festival after several years. Go out and take part in the celebrations that will be held island-wide – expect to see, hear, and experience lots of things. For that special occasion, we have compiled a list of the must-see acts in celebration of the 10th anniversary of the Singapore Night Festival.
- What better way to kick-start the celebrations than Night Lights – an impressive showcase of a light art installation. You don’t want to miss the multitude of captivating lights and visual effects that will certainly leave you speechless.
- You’ll get to discover and appreciate several forms of cultural dancing from various parts of the world such as Spanish flamenco with a performance by Flamenco Sin Fronteras and Kathak (an Indian traditional dance) performed by local artists Nawaz & Friends.
- If you love music and if diversity is what you are looking for, then you don’t want to miss the Singapore Night Festival as it will feature an extensive variety of musical performances including Perakanan traditional music (Perakanan Sayang), Chinese drumming and even Afrobeat sounds (Instigator Afrobeat Orchestra).
- If you are in for a mind reading and hypnosis session, then head over to the festival where local illusionist Ning Cai (previously known as Magic Babe Ning) will also perform along with hypnotist Paul Brook and introduce to festivalgoers their very new show called Pain/Pleasure – and, experience the Hypno-Dungeon ‘where your mind holds you down and others take charge’ and the ‘Toy’ Shop, which is said to ‘leave you doubting reality.’ Amazement is certainly guaranteed!
- You don’t want to – and you should not – miss this year’s new installation called ‘The Flower of Life and the Infinite Self’, an impressive bamboo dome featuring a unique play of lights and reflections.